Thursday, July 23, 2015

Makerbot 5th Generation Replicator 3D Printer Woes

I don't usually like to get on the Internet to report bad experiences I've had - I think I am somewhat of a tolerant person but I just have to say that right now I am going through one of the most unbelievable consumer experiences I have ever encountered.  Last year I got a Makerbot 5th Generation Replicator 3D printer.  Things were going along fine for a few months then all of a sudden the printer started giving me errors that I hadn't seen before.  In short, I have been trying to work out my issues with Makerbot directly.  In fact, I am negotiating my 4th (yes, I said FOURTH) replacement.  Every single one of the printers I have received had some issue that was either causing a failure or GOING to cause a failure - according to their own technicians.


The amount of money that these printers cost is what really irks me.  You can do your own research on what they cost, but it's definitely not something I'm going to just let slip by. 


On this latest episode I asked if someone could crack open the box, take the printer out and put it through a few prints to make sure that it is OK before sending it to me.  The supervisor I'm talking to said, "We put all of our printers through a QA process and do a 50 point inspection."  I was absolutely beside myself, as I have tons of video and photos that I have taken to document these defects on the printers I have received.


The defects have ranged from faulty extruders - (a very expensive user replaceable part), to misaligned build plates and z-axis bars.


In short, I think I have been very patient with Makerbot, but I've hit my limit and wanted to warn anyone thinking about a Makerbot product to think about another product altogether. 


There is apparently a class-action law suits against the parent company of Makerbot.  All one has to do to find out about them is search Google with the following key words: Makerbot lawsuit.


I bought into the hype they were putting out, and got bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment